Wednesday 26 September 2012

The first day of the second semester

 
Received an encouraging message from a friend 
- "Let's work hard together this semester!"
The attitude of a "returning student" towards a new semester is totally different from that of  a new exchange student.  I not only lost the enthusiasm I used to feel on the first day of class, I also lost the impetus to make new friends.

When I first started out on this programme in spring, I was anxious to know people. Now that I am into my second semester, I have sort of taken on the perspective of the onlooker, smiling to myself at the familiar scenes of new students busy exchanging contact details and chatting about where to go after class.

I am now back in my comfort zone because there are some wonderful people from the last semester who have become my friends. Even my self-introduction in class was over in a matter of seconds. I used to put alot more effort into it but now, I knew that everyone would be too nervous thinking about their own self-introduction to care about what I had to say.
There were the usual comments which still surprised me even though I had them from classmates and teachers in the last semester. A new classmate asked me today if I had studied in America as I was speaking in English to an American classmate, while another asked if I were from China, as I was conversing with my Chinese friends in Mandarin. And then there were the usual reactions when I explained Singapore's bilingual policy - "I didn't know that!"

Classes were as interesting as they could be. In my class, there were 15 classmates from 13 different countries spanning the US, Middle East, Europe, Northeast and Southeast Asia and Oceania. A multi-cultural mix of students, just like the last semester in which I got to know people from 9 different countries.

Our Japanese sensei was a humorous gentleman who started the class explaining the geography and history of the prefectures in Kansai region, and then an account of how he met his wife when he was studying abroad.  He shared abit of trivia about Kyoto, that it is not just temples and shrines but also an important education hub with close to 40 universities and the base for major companies such as Nintendo and Wacoal.
 
Scribbling in the notebook.

It looked like the classes with my new sensei would be very enjoyable.  "For the sake of world peace, please make as many friends in this international environment as possible and learn to appreciate the many different cultures. For the sake of world peace, please do your best towards international marriages!" And with those inspiring words, he ended the class.  We would be reading Japanese literature in his class and for the first lesson, we did a short story from one of  my favourite writers, Hoshi Shinichi. 
 
My second class with another sensei was alittle unsettling actually. It was conducted in the Japanese seminar style, and we could expect lots of discussions and project work with Japanese students on topics related to cross-cultural communication. We also had to write journals reflecting on every discussion in class.

 
 
After classes, I went around campus taking photographs. I know I would be very busy this semester with school work and my volunteer activities, which means time will fly past without me realising it. From the often-used staircase at the back of the classroom building where most of my classes were held, to the staircase landing where I love to stand after class to look at the view of the school grounds (and also because it reminded me of a scene in Hana Yori Dango), to my usual classrooms.  I wanted to remember every part of this school well. 
 
 
 



It was exactly six months since I first came to Kyoto for this exchange programme. In four months, it will all come to an end.

1 comment:

  1. Our bilingual policy has been a attraction to many!

    70

    ReplyDelete