Saturday 10 November 2012

Poster series: Who are the messages targeting?

The first poster states "Molesters will not be let off!". When I first saw this poster which was pasted onto the wall at a Kyoto subway station, I wondered how the drawings of the angry-looking school girls could have any deterrent effect on molesters. 

 
More recently, I saw another poster pasted outside a shop in the middle of a residential area near my university. This time, the message stated on the poster is "Bullying is a crime! Absolutely shall not be let off!" The drawing of a gentle-looking lady who seems to be gesturing "no, no" with her hand again made me wonder how a poster like this could deter bullying.

 
Just as I was thinking that whoever designed these posters had absolute disregard of whether the messages are being diluted or not with the use of the drawings, it suddenly occurred to me that I got the target audience wrong.
 
The posters are probably not targeting the perpetrators at all, but the victims! They are appealing to the victims to come forward and seek help, many of whom are probably junior high students.
 
From that perspective then, are the posters effective? What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe the poster on the bullying is to empower people to believe that bullying should never be accepted? So maybe it is more to create increased social awareness? Just that I am not aware of Japan's culture to know how effective it is. Whatever, if the message or icon sticks, it will be considered effective.

    ReplyDelete